US President Donald Trump said his administration will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland. The remarks came one week after the Pentagon abruptly delayed a planned deployment of more than 4,000 US-based troops to Poland. On Tuesday, the Pentagon announced it had reduced the number of US Brigade Combat Teams assigned to Europe from four to three, returning troop levels to those seen in 2021.
The decision resulted in a temporary delay of the deployment of US forces to Poland, the Department of Defence said in a statement, describing Poland as a model US ally. According to US media reports, currently, there are around 80,000 US troops based in Europe, among them roughly 10,000 are in Poland. The Pentagon announced earlier that roughly 5,000 US troops would be withdrawn from Germany over the next six to 12 months.