May 19, 2026 8:58 AM

printer

US President says US held off planned military strike on Iran following requests from Qatar, Saudi Arabia & UAE

US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a planned military strike on Iran after requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, as serious negotiations are now underway.

In a post on Truth Social, the US President said he had been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to postpone the strike, which was scheduled for Tuesday. President Trump said a deal acceptable to the United States and countries across West Asia could soon be reached.

He added that the proposed agreement would ensure that Iran does not possess nuclear weapons. However, President Trump warned that the US military remains prepared to launch a large-scale assault on Iran at short notice if negotiations fail. He said he has instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine, and the US military to remain ready for immediate action if required.

Earlier on Monday, Iran said it had responded to some US concerns regarding its negotiating position through Pakistani mediators. Iran has also continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively closing the vital waterway through which around 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas travels.