Download
Mobile App

android apple
signal

January 19, 2025 10:02 PM

printer

Evening News

THE HEADLINES:

 

⦁ Prime Minister Narendra Modi commends India’s historic achievement in space exploration and growing prowess in modern space technology; In the first Mann Ki Baat address this year, Prime Minister hails flourishing startup ecosystem in the country, highlighting 200 percent surge in startup registrations in Nagaland.

⦁ National Disaster Response Force celebrates 20th Raising Day; Prime Minister says, NDRF has set global standards in disaster response and management.

⦁ Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas takes effect.

⦁ IMD forecasts rain and snowfall in several parts of Northern India over next five days due to a western disturbance.

⦁ India script history in inaugural edition of Kho Kho World Cup as both Men’s and Women’s teams lift trophies in New Delhi.

⦁ And, in Under-19 Women’s T20 Cricket, India begin title defence with dominant nine-wicket win over West Indies at Kuala Lumpur.

<><><>

Prime Minister Narendra today commended India’s historic achievement recently in space exploration and the growing prowess in modern space technology. Addressing the nation in his first Mann Ki Baat programme of 2025 on Akashvani, the Prime Minister said that the country is setting new benchmarks in space technology, with visionary scientists and innovators providing solutions to future challenges.

 

Hailing the Bengaluru-based Indian Space-Tech start-up, ‘Pixxel’ for successfully launching the country’s first private satellite constellation ‘Firefly’, Mr Modi called it a significant step towards self-reliance.

 

The Prime Minister also applauded the space docking of satellites conducted recently by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), saying that this technology is important for sending supplies to space stations and crew missions in space.

 

Prime Minister Modi applauded the flourishing startup ecosystem in the country adding that the registration of startups in Nagaland surged by over 200 per cent last year. On the completion of nine years of Start-Up India initiative, Mr Modi applauded the remarkable growth of country’s Start-Up culture, particularly in smaller cities.

<><><>

The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is celebrating its 20th Raising Day today. In his message on the occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi saluted the brave personnel of NDRF. In a social media post, Mr Modi said, the unwavering commitment of the personnel of NDRF to saving lives, responding to disasters and ensuring safety during emergencies is truly commendable. He said, the NDRF has also set global standards in disaster response and management.

Speaking during the 20th Raising Day ceremony of the NDRF in Vijayawada today, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said, India has emerged as a global leader in Disaster Management, and in the area of disaster resilient infrastructure the country is leading the world.

 

During the event, Mr Shah inaugurated and laid the foundation stones for several development projects worth 220 crore rupees. The Minister said, the Centre has approved projects totalling over 3 lakh crore rupees in the past few months for Andhra Pradesh for various developmental projects.

<><><>

News from Maha Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj

 

The Mahakumbh is proving to be a golden opportunity for artisans from across the country. This grand event, being held at the confluence in Prayagraj, features an impressive exhibition of ‘One District, One Product’ (ODOP) spread over six thousand square meters.

 

“Items such as carpets, zari-zardosi, glass toys from Firozabad, wooden toys from Varanasi, and other handicraft products are becoming major attractions for devotees. Talking to Akashvani News,Joint Commissioner, Industries, Prayagraj Division Sharad Tondon said that around 140 stalls have been set up at the exhibition displaying various products.

This ODOP initiative is an unprecedented effort to promote the handicrafts and cottage industries. Mahakumbh 2025 is not only strengthening spiritual and cultural identity but has also become a vast platform for entrepreneurs. This time the business of such products is expected to touch 45 crore rupees during the ongoing Mahakumbh Mela. Anand Kumar for Akashvani News, Prayagraj”

<><><>

A fire broke out at Sector 19 of Maha Kumbh Mela area this evening which was immediately brought under control. No casualty was reported in the incident. Fire services, NDRF and SDRF teams were rushed to the spot to douse the flame, after receiving information about the incident.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also spoke to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath over phone in this regard. The Chief Minister apprised Mr Modi about the incident. Mr. Adityanath also conducted a site inspection and directed the concerned officials to carry out the relief work on a war footing.

<><><>

In Maharashtra, the accused in the Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan attack case, has been remanded to five-day police custody. Earlier in the day, the accused identified as Mohammad Shariful Islam Shehzad was produced before the Bandra Holiday Court after he was arrested by the Mumbai Police from Thane West area. Addressing the media, DCP Zone 9 Dixit Gedam, said some items seized from the accused indicate that he is a Bangladeshi national and doesn’t have any valid Indian identity proof.

<><><>

The Railway Protection Force (RPF) successfully apprehended 586 Bangladeshi nationals and 318 Rohingya during the last four years. The illegal migrants continue to infiltrate India, using Assam as a transit route and railways as their preferred mode of travel to reach other parts of the country.

<><><>

Tomorrow is last date for withdrawal of the nomination for the 70-member Delhi Assembly election. A total of 719 candidates are in fray till now. As per the Chief Electrol Officer, a total of 477 nomination have been rejected out of one thousand 522 nomination. The voting will be held on the 5th of next month and the counting will take place on 8th February.

<><><>

The long-awaited ceasefire deal between Israel and the Palestinian armed group Hamas commenced today in the Gaza Strip, marking a potential turning point in the 15-month conflict that has claimed thousands of lives. The truce’s implementation was delayed by nearly three hours due to last-minute complications over hostage lists, highlighting the delicate nature of the agreement. Mediator Qatar confirmed the start of the truce.

Israel has confirmed receiving from Hamas the names of the three captives to be freed on the first day of the implementation of the agreement. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on social media platform posted that the security establishment is now checking the details. Israeli Prime Minister’s office said, four other female hostages could be freed in seven days.

“Under the terms of the deal, brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the United States, Hamas will release 33 hostages over a six-week period, with three female captives scheduled for release on the first day. In exchange, Israel has agreed to free hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. The agreement also enables increased humanitarian aid to enter Gaza through multiple crossing points. World Food Programme trucks have begun delivering essential supplies to Gaza, with convoys of wheat flour and ready-to-eat food parcels moving into Gaza. Looking ahead, significant challenges remain unresolved. The question of Gaza’s future governance remains a critical point of contention. Israel has maintained its position that it will not end the war with Hamas in power, though this issue has been deliberately excluded from current negotiations due to its complexity.This is Vinod Kumar for Akashvani news, from Dubai.”

<><><>

Millions of TikTok users in the United States are no longer able to watch or share videos on the social media platform as a federal ban on the popular app takes effect. The newly enacted US law prohibiting the use of the platform came into effect today, a day before the inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump. The ban followed heightened scrutiny over TikTok’s Chinese ownership. In an interview with a News network, Mr Trump has said he was thinking about giving TikTok a 90-day extension that would allow them to continue operating.

<><><>

Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ashwini Vaishnaw will participate in the World Economic Forum 2025 beginning tomorrow at Davos in Switzerland. During the five-day event, Mr Vaishnaw will highlight the country’s development model.

<><><>

The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has forecast rain and snowfall in several parts of Northern India due to a western disturbance during the next five days. Talking to media, IMD Scientist Dr Naresh Kumar said, dense fog conditions are also likely to continue over several parts of the region for the next two days.

<><><>

India scripted history in the inaugural edition of the Kho Kho World Cup with both Men’s and Women’s teams lifting the trophies in New Delhi this evening. Both teams defeated Nepal at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium.

<><><>

In the Under-19 Women’s T20 Cricket, India kickstarted their title defence at the tournament with a dominant nine-wicket victory over the West Indies at Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia today.
Put in to bat, West Indies were bundled out for a paltry 44 runs in 13.2 overs in the Group A match.

In reply, the Women in Blue overhauled the mere target of 45 runs in just 4.2 overs, posting 47 for the loss of one wicket. India had won the toss and elected to bowl first.

In another Group A match today, Sri Lanka defeated hosts Malaysia by 139 runs.

<><><>

At the India Open Badminton tournament in New Delhi, Demark’s Viktor Axelsen won the Men’s singles title while South Korea’s An Se Young clinched the Women’s singles title today. The Malaysian duo, Goh Sze Fei and Nur Izzuddin are the new Men’s Doubles Champion. The Women’s Doubles crown went to the Japanese pair of Arisa Igarashi and Ayako Sakuramoto. China’s team of Jiang Zhen Bang and Wei Ya Xin won the Mixed Doubles title.

<><><>

The 20th edition of the Tata Mumbai Marathon was held today, with over 65,000 runners taking part in the event. Maharashtra Governor C.P. Radhakrishnan flagged off the ‘Elite’ segment of the marathon from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus. He also flagged off the ‘Champions with Disabilities’ race for the differently-abled and the senior citizens’ race. Lyricist Gulzar participated in the senior citizens’ race.

Eritrea’s Berhane Tesfay won the men’s and Kenya’s Joyce Chepkemoi Tele clinched the women’s elite race.

<><><>

THE HEADLINES ONCE AGAIN.

⦁ Prime Minister Narendra Modi commends India’s historic achievement in space exploration and growing prowess in modern space technology; In the first Mann Ki Baat address this year, Prime Minister hails flourishing startup ecosystem in the country, highlighting 200 percent surge in startup registrations in Nagaland.

⦁ National Disaster Response Force celebrates 20th Raising Day; Prime Minister says, NDRF has set global standards in disaster response and management.

⦁ Gaza ceasefire and hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas takes effect.

⦁ IMD forecasts rain and snowfall in several parts of Northern India over next five days due to a western disturbance.

⦁ India script history in inaugural edition of Kho Kho World Cup as both Men’s and Women’s teams lift trophies in New Delhi.

⦁ And, in Under-19 Women’s T20 Cricket, India begin title defence with dominant nine-wicket win over West Indies at Kuala Lumpur.

<><><>